11/01/2008

A great writer doesn't have to be an author.

After cleaning the whole house today, I lounged back on my couch, put my feet up, and threw on the old IPod.  It didn't take very long for me to be reminded that although I was never a really avid reader before, I sure was - and still am - a very avid music lover.  And not following too far behind one of my favorite tunes will most assuredly be an inspirational message, or just some down right great writing.

What is the difference between an author and a lyricist?  I can't really think of one, unless you hit the obvious.  But don't they both try to basically do the same thing?  Yes, perhaps books may entertain you more, but often we can also get swept off our feet by a beautiful song.  And themes and messages can run rampant throughout songs as well.  

I've been blessed in having absolutely exceptional taste in music.  Today's "music" - to me - is a mockery of the truly great artist that have paved the way for today's wannabes.  But I guess that today's generation is easily pleased.  Okay, there may be a few exceptions to the rule, but it's really hard to compare anything to the classics.  That's why they're called the classics.

So I'd like to leave you with a great line from one of the most influential bands to ever grace the airwaves - Pink Floyd:

No more turning away, from the weak and the weary.
No more turning away from the coldness inside.
Just a world that we all must share,
It's not enough just to stand and stare.
Is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away?

- No More Turning Away

Next blog, I'll outline 5 of my top lyrics that just make me shiver every time I hear them.  Some truly inspired, and great writing!

Out.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment